We offer a choice of supplier to cater for students attending from a wide catchment area. Our official school uniform suppliers are:
- John Lewis Partnership - school specific uniform is available exclusively online at www.johnlewis.com with options to request either free delivery to a local store for next day collection or home delivery with a range of price options. General uniform items and sample sizes are available in stores - read their letter to parents below for more details.
Letter to Parents from John Lewis Schoolwear - July 2011
As of December 2012, suppliers will no longer be visiting the school, due to a lack of demand for uniform items being bought from our suppliers at school and a change in their working practices. However, both our uniform suppliers offer an online service for direct delivery.
Henry Taylor (Outfitters) Ltd - school uniform is available exclusively online at: www.henrytaylorschoolwear.com - delivery within 3-7 days, postage charged at Royal Mail current rates and variable according to weight of items (approximately between £1 and £5).
Back to top
A local supplier, Smith's Schoolwear, 14 High Street, Potters Bar, Herts EN6 5AW, Tel: 01707 649200, also provide our uniform, however please note that Smith's do not stock the girls' kilt. A postage service is available on request or they can deliver direct to the school.
Please also note that jewellery, piercings or ornamentation of any kind is not to be worn. Such items have proved to be dangerous for school wear and are expensive to replace if lost. Make up is not allowed.
In the Sixth Form, there is a specific dress code - see Sixth Form for details.
"OSA (Owen's School Association) Nearly New":
The OSA provide an excellent recycling service to the school, by selling GOOD QUALITY second hand uniform from the school foyer, at the same time as the main suppliers visit the school. Parents are very welcome to donate items by handing them into the school office, in a a suitable bag, labelled for the attention of Mrs Gaye Lloyd, "OSA Nearly New", throughout the year.
Mrs Lloyd ensures items are carefully displayed and prices are very reasonable. Payment can be made by cash or cheque (payable to the OSA). As a member of the OSA, she is a volunteer parent and the school are very grateful to her for providing this service for parents and students.
In addition, at the end of each academic year, uncollected items of lost property stored in the school office are given to Mrs Lloyd, who includes items of school uniform in the "Owen's Nearly New" displays. Other uncollected items, such as watches, mobile phones and glasses are recyled by the school office.
If parents would like to contact Mrs Lloyd at any time for further information about the "OSA Nearly New", or would like to volunteer to help, she can be emailed via the school office at: email@example.com.
All items of uniform and games equipment must be clearly labelled with the student's name.
Those items marked * conform to a specific design and colour for Dame Alice Owen's School and MUST be purchased from the official school outfitters.
- White Shirt
- * Official school tie
- * Dark grey polyester/viscose trousers
- Socks, dark grey or black
- * Pullover, if worn, to be grey and V-necked - NOT a cardigan
- Plain black shoes
- * School blazer, black
- * School badge to be sewn on blazer pocket
- * Plain white poloshirt with Owen’s logo
- White sports shorts, predominently white sports socks.
- Indoor training shoes (non-mark soles);
- Astroturf training shoes (mainly black).
- Football/Rugby boots
- Black knee length socks
- Black football shorts
- * School football shirt in red and black stripes
- * Reversible black rugby shirt - black on one side, red on the other with white collar
Students selected for the football and rugby teams should purchase an Owen's waterproof black and red jacket embroidered with the school badge. This can only be ordered by collecting an order form from the Boys' PE department.
- * White blouse with collar (open neck)
- * Red V-necked pullover - NOT a cardigan
- * Kilt in black pinstripe
- * Trousers in black pinstripe
- Plain black shoes (no trimmings), low heel - no sling-backs or sandals
- Ankle socks, black or white; stockings or tights - natural colour or plain black
- * School blazer, black - not essential for girls
- * Summer only - short sleeved blouse (optional)
The school kilt and trousers which MUST be bought from the uniform suppliers are already manufactured in the correct style. They should NOT, therefore, be altered.
1.* Black PE skort with red side with school arrow logo - all sports but compulsory for hockey and netball
2.* Black polo shirt (s) with red side and Owen’s logo
3.* Black sweatshirt with red side with Owen's logo
4.* Black knee-length socks with red hoops at top
5. Appropriate indoor and outdoor type trainers
1.* Black PE shorts with school arrow logo – all sports other than hockey and netball
2. Plain black tracksuit bottoms – for cold weather (as decided by Girls' PE
4.** Black Beanie Hat (including embroidered school badge) – for cold weather
(as decided by the Girls' PE department)
5. Gum shield strongly recommended for hockey and shin pads for hockey
and football (football boots if representing the school at outdoor football)
6.**Black Snood (including Owen’s wording) for cold weather (as decided by the Girls’ PE Department)
All items available from John Lewis and Smith’s Schoolwear except those items marked ** which can only be ordered from Smith’s Schoolwear (details above).
Boys & Girls: Outdoor Clothing:
Choice of: overcoats, raincoats, anoraks - these should be plain, in one of the regulation colours - black, dark navy, red or grey - one small logo (no larger than 8 sq cms) is permitted. Any other form of outdoor garment (e.g. rally jackets, combat jackets, white cardigans or jackets, etc.) may not be worn. Plain black or red scarves.
We should be most grateful if parents would kindly ensure that their children have sufficient shirts and/or blouses to last the week.
Bags for carrying school books and personal property should be weatherproof, fairly lightweight and no bigger than 20" in length. Over-large bags create problems in crowded areas such as corridors and can be hazardous in teaching areas.
Back to top